Nothing beats a warm bowl of stew to nourish your body and soul. What’s great about it is that it encourages experimentation. You can use different ingredients each time you cook to keep on discovering new flavors. If you’re looking for a new and nourishing stew to try, this recipe from Healthy Holistic Living is the perfect choice. It uses cauliflower as the base vegetable, coconut milk for the broth and various herbs and spices to bring out a wonderful flavor and aroma.Comforting Cauliflower Stew With Tomatoes, Herbs and Spices Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 medium organic onion , finely chopped
- 3 ripe organic tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 medium head organic cauliflower , stemmed and cut into bite-size florets
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup of organic kale , chopped
Organic diet cuts cancer risk
- 2 teaspoons of ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon of cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 14 ounces of full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- In a medium-sized stock pot, heat the coconut oil for 30 seconds on medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and stir them until they start to sputter. Add the onions and cook for another minute, and then, add the tomatoes, stir and cook for a few more minutes until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together. Cover the pan and simmer for about 15 minutes , stirring every five minutes to keep it from burning.
- Pour the soup into bowls and enjoy. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container.
Berries for your belly. Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries contain plant nutrients known as anthocyanidins, which are powerful antioxidants. Blueberries rival grapes in concentrations of resveratrol – the antioxidant compound found in red wine that has assumed near mythological proportions. Resveratrol is believed to help protect against heart disease and cancer.
Cauliflower Is a Great Foundation for a Stew
Cauliflower belongs to the cruciferous vegetable family and looks similar to broccoli , except it has a white head. Research has shown that it may help:
- Fight Cancer — In a study that used mice, scientists discovered that a combination of phenethyl isothiocyanate (a cancer-fighting compound found in cauliflower) and turmeric was found to be effective against prostate cancer cells. 1 In another study, sulforaphane, another beneficial substance found in cauliflower, was found to help prevent the proliferation of breast cancer cells. 2
- Improve Brain Health — Cauliflower contains choline, a B vitamin that may help promote a healthy nervous system. In one study, increased choline intake during pregnancy helped supercharge the brain activity of mice in utero, which can possibly lead to improved cognitive function, learning and memory later in life. 3
- Improve Digestive Function — Sulforaphane may help reduce the number of harmful bacteria growing inside your stomach, thereby lowering your risk of developing digestive problems. 4
- Fight Inflammation — Cauliflower contains a mixture of antioxidants such as beta-carotene, quercetin, rutin and kaempferol to help combat inflammation throughout your body. To maximize your antioxidant intake, I suggest you purchase the Graffiti variety of cauliflower because it has the highest amount compared to other types. 5
Tomatoes Add More Nutrients and Help Thicken the Stew
Tomatoes are a great ingredient for many dishes because they contain an impressive combination of nutrients, such as:
|Vitamins A, B6, C, E and K||Fiber|
In addition, tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant suggested to be more effective in helping lower your risk of stroke and cancer compared to other carotenoids. In one study, high consumption of cooked tomatoes has been associated with a lowered risk of prostate cancer. 6 Another study suggests that lycopene can help against pancreatic and lung cancer, as well as cardiovascular disease. 7
Coconut Milk Is the Best Broth You Can Use for a Stew
Coconut is one of the healthiest foods you can add to your diet regularly. In fact, I use coconut oil in my cooking whenever possible. In this recipe, the broth used is coconut milk, which is made by extracting the liquid from coconut meat, resulting in a thicker viscosity compared to coconut water. 8 Just like coconut oil, it can offer many benefits, such as:
Turn Mineral Makeup Powder Into A Natural Sunblock. Use tinted mineral sunblock instead of foundation or mix your favorite mineral makeup powder with a sunblock like this one for a natural makeup that is light and protects your skin from the sun’s damaging effects. Mineral-based (zinc oxide) sunblocks sometimes appear white and pasty so adding a mineral makeup tint helps your skin look glowing and smooth.
- Bolsters your immune system — The fatty acids found in coconut contain antimicrobial properties, which can improve your immune system and lower your risk of developing diseases.
- Gives you energy — Coconut’s fatty acids are immediately converted by your liver into energy instead of being stored as fat.
- Helps improve your cardiovascular health — Consuming coconut frequently may help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels in your blood.
Adding Kale Greatly Improves the Stew’s Nutritional Profile
Kale is a good choice for this recipe because it’s versatile and a superfood in its own right. In one study, kale was singled out as the best food you can eat to help lower your risk of bladder cancer. 9 Furthermore, it contains 32 phenolic compounds that can help eliminate free radicals throughout your body. 10
Herbs and Spices Improve Not Only the Taste but Your Health, Too
The flavor and aroma of any dish can be greatly improved by adding the right combination of herbs and spices, and this recipe follows this practice to great effect:
- Cilantro — Rich in antioxidants such as quercetin, kaempferol, rhamnetin and epigenin, cilantro can help lower the risk of arthritis and improve healthy cholesterol levels.
- Cumin — One of the main spices used to create curry, it contains minerals such as iron, potassium and manganese, as well as vitamins that can help inhibit stress and respiratory disorders.
- Coriander — An aromatic herb native to the Mediterranean region and western Asia, coriander may reduce insulin resistance and decrease blood sugar levels. 11
- Turmeric — Prized for its anti-inflammatory properties, using it regularly can help reduce your risk of osteoarthritis and cancer, and may even protect against liver damage.
- Jalapeno — Peppers contain a substance called capsaicin, which is the source of their spicy flavor. Research has shown that capsaicin may help reduce your risk of developing tumors, 12 and may assist with weight management due to its ability to boost your body’s metabolism and fat burning. 13
Have a solid breakfast with plenty of protein and fat. Eat meals and snacks at regular times every day.
About the Author
Healthy Holistic Living is an independent alternative health news resource that provides innovative, alternative health-related content, resources and product information that empower individuals to make positive change in their lives and in the world.Sources and References
- 1 Cancer Research, 2006 January 15l66(2):613-21
- 2 Carcinogenesis, 2008 Dec;29(12):2360-8
- 3 Journal of Neurophysiology, 2004 Apr;91(4):1545-55
- 4 , 5 The World’s Healthiest Foods, “Cauliflower”
- 6 Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 2004 Mar;13(3):340-5
- 7 Annual Review of Food Science and Technology, “An Update on the Health Effects of Tomato Lycopene” December 4, 2013
- 8 Epicurious, “How to Buy the Right Coconut Milk (or Water) (or Cream)” April 7, 2015
- 9 International Urology and Nephrology, 2005;37(2):283-9
- 10 Free Radical Biology and Medicine, Volume 19, Issue 5, November 1995, 541-552
- 11 American Botanical Council, “Food as Medicine: Coriander/Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum, Apiaceae)” June 2015
- 12 J. Agric. Food Chem., 2010, 58 (24), pp 12999–13005
- 13 International Journal of Obesity, 2010 Apr;34(4):659-69