1 The following lifestyle factor has been scientifically shown to be as potent a risk factor for premature death as smoking:
- Lack of grounding
- Sun avoidance
An estimated 12 percent of all U.S. deaths may be linked to inadequate sun exposure, and sun avoidance is as potent a risk factor for death as smoking. Learn more.
- Electromagnetic field exposure
- Having a body mass index below 35
2 These three factors have a far greater influence on your cardiovascular disease risk than high cholesterol:
- Low insulin, low iron and high saturated fat intake
- Vitamin D toxicity, magnesium deficiency and glyphosate insufficiency
- Iron overload, insulin resistance and chronic inflammation
High cholesterol is not a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Three factors that have a far greater influence on your CVD risk are iron overload, insulin resistance and chronic inflammation. Learn more.
- Sedentary behavior, low wireless radiation exposure and high sun exposure
3 Two former Snopes employees reportedly quit after discovering Facebook was paying Snopes and pushing fact-checkers to:
- Incite riots by tagging inflammatory articles as True
- Influence political processes in the U.S. and elsewhere
- Help sell confidential user data
- Debunk information that might hurt its advertisers
Two former Snopes employees quit after discovering Facebook was paying Snopes, and pushing fact-checkers to debunk information that might hurt its advertisers. Learn more.
4 The following has been established as the best available treatment for seasonal affective disorder (SAD) — a type of depression that strikes during winter months and resolve during spring and summer:
- Light therapy
Light therapy has been established as the best available treatment for SAD. Learn more.
- Placebo treatment
- Sauna therapy
5 As you get older, the following form of exercise becomes increasingly important, as it promotes healthy bone strength and good posture, and helps normalize hormone production:
- Aerobic exercise such as walking or jogging
- Resistance training such as weightlifting
Strength training only becomes more important with age. Working your muscles helps maintain healthy bone mass, prevents age-related muscle loss, improves perimenopausal symptoms in women and counteracts postural deficits that occur with age. Learn more.
- Low-impact exercises such as yoga or Tai Chi
- High-intensity exercises such as sprinting
Save steamy scenes for the bedroom. Showering or bathing in water that’s too hot will dry out your skin and cause it to age prematurely. Warm water is much better. Apply moisturiser while your skin is still damp – it’ll be absorbed more easily. Adding a little olive oil to your bath with help keep your skin moisturised too.
6 How long does it take a plastic bottle to break down in the ocean?
- 100 years
- 15 years
- 450 years
It’s estimated that a plastic bottle can take 450 years to break down in a marine environment. But even then, it never goes away. It simply breaks down into smaller pieces that may persist in the environment forever. Learn more.
- 250 years
7 Hypnosis puts you into a state of:
Most meditation takes you into alpha brainwaves. Hypnosis takes you into theta, an even slower brainwave and a state in which you become highly suggestible, yet fully awake and aware of what you’re doing. Learn more.