1 The following supplement has been shown to boost testosterone and improve semen quality in infertile men:
Ashwagandha supports sexual and reproductive health in both men and women. In men, it helps boost testosterone levels, and has been shown to improve semen quality in infertile men. Learn more.
- Vitamin A
2 The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Children and the American Dental Association recommend children younger than 3 use the following amount of toothpaste when brushing their teeth:
- Enough to cover half the length of the toothbrush
- A rice-grain sized amount
The CDC and ADA recommend using no more than a pea-sized amount for children between the ages of 3 and 6. Children younger than 3 should use no more than the size of a rice grain on their toothbrush. Learn more.
- Enough to cover the length of the toothbrush
- A pea-sized amount
3 What controversial event occurred two days after the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) awarded its Scientific Freedom and Responsibility award for 2019 to two Sri Lankan researchers who linked glyphosate exposure to chronic kidney disease of unknown etiology in Sri Lankan farmers?
- The researchers were accused of scientific fraud by the government of Sri Lanka
- The research paper upon which the award was based was retracted by the scientific journal
- AAAS rescinded the award following criticism from pro-industry sources
The 2019 Scientific Freedom and Responsibility award was slated to be given to two human health researchers who have published papers linking glyphosate exposure to chronic kidney disease of unknown etiology in Sri Lankan farmers. The AAAS rescinded the award, saying they are reassessing their decision due to concerns "voiced by scientists and members." Learn more.
- Two researchers nominated for the award accused AAAS of making their award selection based on conflicts of interest
4 Recent research offers a clue as to why women tend to maintain their mental acuity longer than men, as this study found:
- Women's brains use more ketones for fuel than glucose, thereby slowing brain deterioration
- Men are more prone to head injuries, which skews the data
- Men have more brain cells than women, which use more energy and speeds brain aging
- Women's brains are metabolically about three years younger than men's brains of the same chronological age
Recent research shows women's brains are about three years younger, metabolically speaking, than men's brains of the same chronological age. The finding offers a clue as to why women tend to maintain their mental acuity longer than men. Learn more.
Eat more plants. If you just make one major change in your diet for optimal health and weight management, switch the emphasis of your food choices to mostly whole plant foods, such as whole grains, beans, lentils, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds in their whole form. By making this major change, you will increase your fiber, vitamin, mineral, phytochemical and healthy fat intake, which helps defend the body from disease.
5 Which of the following remedies is the most effective for the treatment of sunburn, aside from prevention?
- Fresh aloe vera gel
For sunburn, fresh aloe gel is likely the most effective remedy available, besides prevention. Learn more.
- Vitamin C
- Cucumber slices
- Are a good source of nutrients on which to grow crops
- Pose health dangers and should not be used
Biosolids are not safe for farm or garden application. Learn more.
- Are purified by waste treatment plants like drinking water
- Should be applied to home gardens
7 Why is it important to cycle high and low protein intake?
- To ensure you're getting enough protein, as the ideal amount of protein is impossible to calculate
- To minimize overall protein intake, as protein at any amount is a major driver of aging and cancer
- To counteract muscle loss while optimizing autophagy, the process by which damaged cells are removed and new, healthy cells are rebuilt
Cycling high and low protein intake will optimize autophagy and counteract muscle loss. Ideally, combine protein restriction with fasting, followed by increased protein intake on strength training days. Learn more.
- To maximize muscle growth, as muscle only grows during low-protein intake